DEQ Main Menu
Annual Poster Contest
2017 Radon Poster Contest
Radon is a gas that is naturally occurring in the environment. In Utah, 1 in 3 homes have elevated levels. This contest is designed to raise awareness for radon testing and to inform people of the danger of radon in their homes. It is simple and inexpensive to test your home for radon. Test kits are available at Radon.Utah.Gov for $8.95
- Poster Contest Winners
- Students encouraged to submit artwork for the 2016 National Radon Poster Contest
(10/03/16) Deseret News
- Utah’s Youngest Citizens Leading Radon Awareness Campaign With National Radon Poster Contest
State Contest Winners will receive cash awards. There will be three first place winners receiving $100 and his/her school receiving $100 and they will meet with the governor to sign the National Radon Month Proclamation. There will be two runners-up that will receive $100 and $100 for his/her school.
- Five prizes will be awarded.
- October 20—Entries due to DEQ (postmarked)
- October 27—State voting begins
- November 8 —Winners announced
- January—Winners Winners will meet with Governor during National Radon Action Month
- Department of Environmental Quality
Division of Radiation Control
C/O Eleanor Divver
PO Box 144850
SLC, UT 84114-4850
- Submission Form
- Children aged 9-18 in grades 4-12 can participate in three categories.
- The categories will be: 4-6 grades, 7-9 grades, 10-12 grades.
- Only one vote per household is allowed.
Poster Topics—Choose from the Following Five Topics
- What is radon?
- Where does radon come from?
- How does radon get into our homes?
- Radon can cause lung cancer.
- Test your home for radon.
- White paper
- Preferred sizes are 11” X 17” - OR - 8.5” X 11”
- No student names on front of the poster
- Include a title on the front
- Topic and title must be on the artwork
- Can create the poster with crayon, markers, paint, pencil
- Cannot use copyrighted logos
- Content accuracy
- Visual communication of topic
- Ability to reproduce