DEQ Main Menu
Step 1: Study
You should be studying 20-30 hours for lower level exams, and 40-50 hours for upper levels. Failing means you will have to wait 30 days and do it all over again.Get Study Materials
Step 2: Choose your exam
- Online - $130 |PDF
Flexible schedule, state-wide. Results, review, and a temporary certificate immediately.
- Conference - $100 |PDF
Register and pay for the training with Rural Water - www.RWAU.net
Register and pay for the exam with Drinking Water.
Conference Exam Dates
- Written - $100
Choosing a Grade Level to Test For
Depending on where you might be working, these are the certification levels needed for water system’s serving these populations:
Small System: 25-500 population
Dist. Grade 1: 501-1,500
Dist. Grade 2: 1,501-5,000
Dist. Grade 3: 5,001-15,000
Dist. Grade 4: > 15,001
Treatment Grade 1: 25-1,500
Treatment Grade 2: 1,501-5,000
Treatment Grade 3: 5,001-15,000
Treatment Grade 4: > 15,001
Step 3: Pass the Exam
Bring to the exam:
- Calculator (4 function calculator preferred)
- Driver’s license or government ID
- #2 pencil and eraser
Items not allowed during the exam:
- No cellphones, laptops, or devices that can hold text allowed (like programmable calculators)
- No phones as calculators
- Your own scratch paper or notes
Provided at the exam:
- Sheet of math formulas and conversions
- Scratch paper
Arrive 15 minutes early to check in and get instructions.
Step 4: Wait for your results
The state takes about four weeks to process your exam. Results are confidential and cannot be shared via email or phone, only by mail.
Step 5: Maintain your certification
- Read our Stay Certified brochure and visit the Resources page to learn about your new responsibilities.
Step 6: Keep your information up-to-date
Water Operator Job Listings:
- Rural Water Association of Utah's Employment Opportunities
- The American Water Works Association's Career Center
To improve the exam process for future operators, please tell us about your experience. Did you need more training on a specific topic? Have a recommendation? Let us know!
- Dawnie Jacobo (801) 536-4217)