DEQ Main Menu
Utah Wastewater Operator Certification Program
Administered by the Utah Division of Water Quality
- Applications and Forms
- Becoming a Certified Wastewater Operator in Utah
- Calendar: Utah W/WW Operator Training Calendar Events
- Certification Exams
- Certification Without Examination (Grandfather Clause)
- Contact Information
- Continuing Education (CEU) Requirements
- Criteria for Wastewater Operator Training Courses
- Current CEU Status
- Examination Preparation
Wastewater Exam Preparation Information and Suggestions
Utah's Wastewater Operator Certification Program uses standardized exams produced by the Association of Boards of Certification (ABC). These exams are developed to evaluate relevant knowledge that wastewater operators "need to know" as compiled from surveys of actual operators working at facilities throughout the United States. Much of that knowledge is expected to be from actual work experience in collection and wastewater treatment.
More information about the exams, including links to need-to-know criteria, references (at the end of the need-to-know criteria), formula/conversion tables, and study guides, can be found on the ABC Website. ABC has provided PDF spreadsheets showing the breakdown by subjects of questions on the different Wastewater Treatment or Collection System exams. These may help you determine which subjects should be studied. This is for informational purposes only, and not a guarantee that the next exams will have the same questions.
Recent Statistical Results of Utah Wastewater Exams
- Fall 2012 Results Tables | December Exam Statistics
- Spring 2013 Results Tables | March Exam Statistics | May Exam Statistics
- Fall 2013 Results Tables | August Exam Statistics | November Exam Statistics
Other organizations provide ongoing training at various locations throughout Utah. Contact these organization directly to receive more specific information about their classes. Some of those organizations are WEF, WEAU, RWAU, and other members of the Training Coalition. The online water and wastewater training calendar is available. This is constantly updated with new information and has links to the sponsoring organizations. Contact our office if you need a printed copy sent to you, however it will only be accurate as of the day it is printed.
Note: Utah Valley University has discontinued its non-credit seminar training program. However, other organizations are attempting to fill the training void. Check the online training calendar for the most current listing of available classes.
A spreadsheet showing the results of the more recent exams is available. This shows the number of questions on each exam by subject or "objective" and the average points scored. This summary may help you to evaluate which areas need more focused study.
Some other sources of training materials include, but are not limited to:
- California State University at Sacramento
- EPA Wastewater O&M Training Modules:
- GREPA Health and Environment: Exam Practice Tests | Online Workshops
- Indigo Water Group, LLC
- Montana Water Center
- New Mexico Wastewater Systems Operator Certification Study Manual
- Sewergeek.com (collections)
- Technical Assistance Center Network (TACNet)
- WEF Operations Resource Center
Also consider searching the Internet Using "wastewater operator training" as the criteria.
The information on this page is presented as a service to the public for informational purposes only. The Utah Department of Environmental Quality and Division of Water Quality accept no responsibility for any material content included on any of these sites.