DEQ Main Menu
Drinking Water Monitoring and Reporting Program
The criteria for establishing a reliably and consistency waiver is set forth in R309-205. The criteria for use and susceptibility waivers follow.
If a source's DWSP plan is due according to the schedule in R309-600-3, and is not submitted to the Division of Drinking Water (DDW), its use and susceptibility waivers for the VOC and pesticide parameter groups will expire unless an exception (refer to R309-600-4) for a new due date has been granted. Additionally, current use and susceptibility waivers for the VOC, pesticide, and unregulated parameter groups will expire upon review of a DWSP plan, if these waivers are not addressed in the plan.
If the chemicals within the VOC and/or pesticide parameter groups have not been used within the past five years within zones one, two, and three, the source may be eligible for a use waiver. To qualify for a VOC and/or pesticide use waiver, a PWS must complete the following two steps:
- List the chemicals which are used, disposed, stored, transported, and manufactured at each potential contamination source within zones one, two, and three where the use of the chemicals within the VOC and pesticide parameter groups are likely.
- Submit a dated statement which is signed by the system's designated person that none of the VOCs and pesticides within these respective parameter groups have been used, disposed, stored, transported, or manufactured within the past five years within zones one, two, and three.
- Use Waiver Form
If a source does not qualify for use waivers, and if reliably and consistently waivers have not been issued, it may be eligible for susceptibility waivers. Susceptibility waivers tolerate the use, disposal, storage, transport, and manufacture of chemicals within zones one, two, and three as long as the PWS can demonstrate that the source is not susceptible to contamination from them. To qualify for a VOC and/or pesticide susceptibility waiver, a PWS must complete the following three steps:
- Submit the monitoring results of at least one applicable sample from the VOC and/or pesticide parameter groups that has been taken within the past five years. A non-detectable analysis for each chemical within the parameter groups is required.
- Submit a dated statement from the designated person verifying that the PWS is confident that a susceptibility waiver for the VOC and/or pesticide parameter groups will not threaten public health.
- Verify that the source is developed in a protected aquifer, as defined in R309-600-6(1)(x), and have a public education program which addresses proper use and disposal practices for pesticides and VOCs which is described in the management sections of the DWSP plan.
- Susceptibility Waiver Form.
Special scientific or engineering studies or best management practices may be developed to support a request for an exception to paragraph R309-600-16(4)(c) due to special conditions. These studies must be approved by DDW before the PWS begins the study. Special waiver condition studies may include:
- geology and construction/grout seal of the well to demonstrate geologic protection;
- memoranda of agreement which addresses best management practices for VOCs and/or pesticides with industrial, agricultural, and commercial facilities which use, store, transport, manufacture, or dispose of the chemicals within these parameter groups;
- public education programs which address best management practices for VOCs and/or pesticides
- contaminant quantities;
- affected land area; and/or,
- fate and transport studies of the VOCs and/or pesticides which are listed as hazards at the PCSs within zones one, two, and three, and any other conditions which may be identified by the PWS and approved by DDW.
Reduced Monitoring When Waiver is Granted
|Baseline Monitoring||Reliably and Consistently Waiver||Susceptibility Waiver||Use Waiver|
|Asbestos||1/9 years||1/9 years||N/A||No Monitoring|
|Inorganics||GW 1/3 years SW Annual||1/9 years||N/A||N/A|
|Sulfate||1/3 years||1/9 years||N/A||N/A|
|Pesticides||Quarterly||pop>3300 2/3 years||pop>3300 2/3 years||No Monitoring|
|pop<3300 1/3 years||pop<3300 1/3 years|
|VOCs||Annual||1/3 years||1/6 years||1/6 years|