DEQ Main Menu
Used Oil Program
Generators comprise the largest segment of the used oil industry. They include businesses that produce, or collect, used oil through commercial or industrial operations, such as:
- Commercial Airlines and Railroads
- Construction Companies
- Manufacturing Enterprises
- Military Installations
- Public and Private Motor Pool Fleets (Taxis, Buses, and Delivery Vehicles)
- Vehicle Repair Shops and Service Stations
Generators also include owners/operators of used oil collection centers that collect used oil from households and from individuals who change the oil in their own vehicles. Standards for used oil generators establish:
- Controls on used oil stored in aboveground tanks and containers to lessen the chance of spills.
- Assurances that used oil is sent to authorized recycling centers through tracking and record keeping requirements for used oil transporters, processors, and re-refiners.
- Standards to control oil released to the environment during storage and transit.
- Ensure storage tanks and containers are in good condition.
- Ensure that all tanks and containers are clearly marked with the words "USED OIL."
- Ensure that if your facility stores used oil in an underground storage tank, all fill pipes are clearly marked with the words "USED OIL."
- Use a permitted used oil transporter who has an EPA identification number when shipping used oil off site.
- Demonstrate financial responsibility for any liability resulting from accidental spill or mishandling of used oil.
It is the used oil generator's responsibility to determine if the used oil generated at their facility may be burned in a space heater, or if it is a hazardous waste (i.e., exceeds the 1000 ppm total halogens limitation).
For more information about the Used Oil Program, please contact Deborah Ng (801) 536-0218.