DEQ Main Menu
DWQ is required to review Utah’s Water Quality Standards at least once every three years. This process, called the Triennial Review, is required by Section 303(c) of the Clean Water Act. In addition to an internal review by DWQ, the review must include the EPA and public. The review is intended to provide an opportunity to update the Standards to include new information and EPA rules and guidance.
DWQ solicits input from the public, regulated community, and EPA regarding what Standards revisions or additions should be considered for the triennial review. DWQ, in consultation with the Water Quality Standards Workgroup, prioritizes the topics for review because the number of topics to review typically exceeds the time and resources available. Any revisions to the standards must be adopted by the Water Quality Board and approved by EPA as part of the rulemaking process. The rulemaking process includes additional opportunities for public comment.
Topics are prioritized considering the following factors: environmental benefit, administrative benefit, technical complexity, available resources, federal mandates, and perceived need for change in standards, guidance, rule, or process.
The next Triennial Review is scheduled for 2014. Standards changes are not limited to the Triennial Review and suggested changes can be submitted at any time. Time-critical changes to the Standards can be made outside the triennial review process if resources are available. Recommendations must be made in writing and should include the proposed revision and rationale for the change. Recommendations should be sent to:
Utah Division of Water Quality
P.O. Box 144870
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4870
Contact Chris Bittner: (801) 536-4371
- 2017 Triennial Review Public Notice
- 2017 Initial Triennial Review Scoping List
- 2014 Triennial Review
- 2014 Initial Triennial Review Scoping List
- 2014 Triennial Review Public Notice
- 2011 Triennial Review
- 2011 Triennial Review: DWQ Response to Public Comments
- 2011 Triennial Review: Public Comments Received
- 2011 Triennial Review: Scoping List—April 2011
- R317-2, Standards of Quality for Waters of the State, with Supporting Documentation: Current Proposed Changes
- Recording of February 14, 2011 Hearing
- Triennial Review and Rulemaking Package Submitted to USEPA September 19, 2012
- USEPA November 20, 2012 Approval Letter for Triennial Review Standards Changes
- 2008 Triennial Review