What You Need to Know Before You Start
You are subject to State and/or Federal Regulations requiring inspection for asbestos.
Avoid Penalties and Delays: Have your project inspected for asbestos by a State Certified asbestos inspector before commencing work.
It is Illegal to Improperly Disturb Some Asbestos-Containing Materials
Asbestos can be found in these common building materials: Ceiling textures, vinyl floor coverings and mastic, boiler and pipe insulation, ceiling tile, roofing products, clapboard shingles, and many other building materials. Many of these materials are regulated; a certified asbestos inspector can determine which materials contain asbestos and which are regulated.
For All Renovation Projects
- Structures/components to be disturbed must be Inspected for asbestos.
- Buildings of any age may contain asbestos, even those newly built may have asbestos containing materials.
- Asbestos containing materials that are regulated or may become regulated must be removed by a certified asbestos removal contractor before they are disturbed by renovation activities.
- A written notification to Utah DAQ, payment of a notification fee and two week waiting period may be required before the removal of large amounts of regulated asbestos-containing materials.
- Regulated asbestos-containing waste material must be disposed of at an approved asbestos waste disposal site.
Demolitions, Destructive Salvage, House Moving
You are subject to State and/or federal regulations, even when there is NO asbestos.
Prior to Demolition
- Inspection: the building must be inspected for asbestos by a State certified asbestos inspector. Contact Utah DAQ for a current list of asbestos inspectors.
- Notification of Demolition form must be submitted to the Utah Division of Air Quality, even if no asbestos was found during the inspection.
- Asbestos removal (if necessary) must be performed by a Utah Certified Asbestos Contractor.
- Pay the Notification Fee.
- Wait two weeks. Demolition cannot proceed until two weeks from the postmark or hand delivery date of the notification of demolition.
Violation of asbestos regulations can result in monetary penalties and project delays.
When a structure or facility is to be demolished or renovated, an inspection, conducted by a certified individual and company, is required. An asbestos survey report shall be generated, and available onsite to all persons who have access onsite. Furthermore, the asbestos survey must be maintained by the operator or owner one year after the completion of the project. The asbestos survey report shall contain the following information:
- brief description of area;
- list of all suspect materials identified in affected area; and,
- a statement of the asbestos content of each sample or materials assumed to contain asbestos.
Contact the Utah Division of Air Quality
Phone: (801) 536-4000