When is the Next Event?
All registrations will run from Monday at 6:00 a.m. until Tuesday at 10:00 p.m.
- October 17, 2022 at 6:00 a.m. (final Cache event)
Box Elder, Davis, Salt Lake, and Weber counties
- November 7, 2022 at 6:00 a.m.
- February 6, 2023 at 6:00 a.m.
- March 6, 2023 at 6:00 a.m.
What is the Conversion Program?
The program ONLY applies to houses:
- Where wood is the sole source of heat (primary wood burner) or;
- Where wood is used to supplement a substantial amount of home heating throughout the cold season (secondary wood burner).
- In these counties: Box Elder, Cache, Davis, Salt Lake County, and Weber.
The program IS NOT for:
- Counties not listed above.
The Wood Stove and Fireplace Conversion Assistance Incentive Program is intended to improve winter time air quality by reducing wood smoke pollutants.
The program provides grant funding to households to lower the cost of replacing a wood-burning heating device with cleaner options.
Does My Home Qualify?
- Must be a primary or secondary wood burner for at least 1 complete cold season.
- Applicant must be the legal owner of the home.
- All purchases, installation, and decommissioning work must be performed by a DAQ authorized dealer.
- No new homeowners (less than 1 yr.).
- No rental or commercial properties.
- No heating device conversion in attached buildings or garages.
- No projects that have already been installed.
- No homeowners who only occasionally use their wood stove/fireplace.
- No existing gas burner in a fireplace.
- Awards may not be used for remodeling or finishing work.
The program is restricted to these counties:
- Box Elder
- Salt Lake
The program funds come from multiple government grants specific to the counties that require wood smoke emission reductions to maintain compliance with the fine particle air quality standard.
How do I sign up?
- Make sure you meet eligibility requirements and income limitations (if applicable).
- On this page, a button will appear at the top if there is an event available. This button will take you to the Eventbrite registration page.
- Registration fills up very quickly! Make sure you are on the Eventbrite registration page right when registration opens.
- Refresh the Eventbrite page to see the REGISTER button appear at the top (try a “hard” refresh by pressing shift+cntrl+r [Windows] or shift+cmd+r [Mac]).
- Be sure to complete all of the required form fields.
Important: Ensure that the email address you use when registering will not block return messages from a utah.gov address! Some business and education email accounts have been blocking award notifications or sending them to the junk folder.
What happens after I register?
- You will receive an email from Eventbrite confirming your registration (this is not a guarantee for getting an incentive award).
- These events are for a waitlist only and are not a guarantee of registration or incentive award.
- You will be notified of your status within 14 days of the registration closure.
- If you qualify and your place in the waitlist is reached, you will be notified with an email containing instructions on how to complete the application process.
Program Instructions and Funding
Eligible applicants are issued an award voucher that expires 30 days from the date it is given to the homeowner, unless the recipient enters into a contract with a program approved vendor. The project under this program must be completed within 100 days of receiving an award.
Once you enter into contract with an approved vendor, you must give the vendor your award voucher for processing. The vendor will reduce the cost of the purchase by the amount of the voucher at the time of purchase. Reimbursements are paid directly to DAQ approved vendors.
Rebate Amounts for Wood Smoke Reduction Program
|Tier||Device Change-out||Rebate Amount|
Non low-income households
|1||Any operational wood stove/insert or open fireplace to natural gas- or propane-fueled appliance. Wood stoves MUST be recycled by our vendor as part of this program.||Up to $4,300||Up to $3,000|
|2||Operational uncertified wood stove/insert to EPA-certified wood stove/insert. Uncertified wood stove MUST be recycled by our vendor as part of this program||Up to $500||Up to $500|
Low-Income Household Qualifications:
Applicants may request low-income status if the total household income is equal to or below the levels below.
|Number of people claimed* on your federal tax return||Adjusted Gross Household Income|
|Additional exempt add||$11,800|
* Please note that each household member counts if claimed on your federal tax return. For example, a household that claims a husband, wife, and two children would look under four (4) for the household income levels.