DEQ Main Menu
- Activities History
- Blended Waste
- Class A West Disposal Cell Infiltration and Transport Modeling Report
- Compliance History
- Current Activities
- Depleted Uranium
- Imported Radioactive Waste from Italy
- Licenses and Permits
- Modification of Company Organization
- Public Notices: Waste Management
- Public Participation Opportunities
- Stakeholder Forum
EnergySolutions is a Utah-based company that operates a commercial treatment, storage and disposal facility five miles south of the Clive exit on Interstate 80 in Tooele County and approximately 80 miles west of Salt Lake City. The facility itself is about one square mile in size and is located in a remote desert area, approximately 20 miles from the nearest residence. The depth to groundwater averages about 30 feet.
EnergySolutions is licensed to handle several classifications of radioactive material and waste:
- Class A Low-level Radioactive Material (LARW)
- Naturally Occurring and Accelerator Produced Material (NORM)
- Radioactive Waste That is Also Determined to be Hazardous (Mixed Waste)
- Uranium and Thorium By-product Material
The Utah Division of Waste Management and Radiation Control (DWMRC) and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission regulate the first three types of licenses. The mixed wastes operations are regulated by both the DWMRC and the Utah Division of Solid and Hazardous Waste (DSHW). DSHW regulates the hazardous waste portion and the DSHW regulates the radioactive portion of the waste.
To learn more about Radiation, we recommend Radiation Answers, sponsored by the Health Physics Society.
Division of Waste Management and Radiation Control
Phil Goble—Compliance Activities