DEQ Main Menu
Energy Fuels Resources (USA) Inc.
White Mesa Uranium Mill
Energy Fuels Resources (USA) Inc. (EFR) operates the White Mesa Uranium Mill, located approximately six miles south of Blanding. Prior to Energy Fuels Inc., taking ownership of the Mill in August, 2012, it was operated by Denison Mines (USA) Corporation from December, 2006 to August 2012. Proceeding Denison Mines, the facility was operated by International Uranium (USA) Corporation.
The Mill License was originally issued by the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission as a source material license under 10 CFR Part 40 on March 31, 1980. It was renewed by the NRC in 1987 and again in 1997. After the State of Utah became an Agreement State for uranium mills in August, 2004, the Mill License was reissued by the Executive Secretary as a State of Utah Radioactive Materials License on February 16, 2005.
The White Mesa Mill operates under the following DEQ permits:
- Air Quality Approval Order DAQE-AN0112050018-11
- Groundwater Discharge Permit No. UGW370004 (Current)
- Radioactive Materials License No. UT1900479 (Current)
The Utah Division of Waste Management and Radiation Control has reviewed and approved Energy Fuels Resources Inc., Environmental Protection Manual (EPM) dated November 2014. This revised EPM was required to be submitted to the DWMRC as part of Dawn Mining License Amendment (License Amendment 7). The DWMRC approved the manual in a letter dated December 10, 2014. The manual will be part of the Renewal licensing action that will go out for public comment in the coming months. The DWMRC deemed it important to approve the plan which starts the 90 day implementation clock for the additional monitoring requirements.
The Utah Division of Waste Management and Radiation Control is reviewing the pubic comments received on the proposed renewal of Radioactive Materials License No. UT 1900479 for Denison Mines, White Mesa Uranium Mill facility. The draft Safety Evaluation Report and draft revised License are available online. All comments received will be considered in the formulation of final determinations to be imposed on the renewed License. A public participation summary will be posted here when the response to comments is completed. In addition, a Memorandum of Agreement between the Division of Waste Management and Radiation Control and EFR has been signed and an outside consultant, URS, is beginning its review of the ICTM contaminate transport model and Reclamation plan 5.0. For more information, contact Phil Goble (801) 536-4044.
- Dawn Mining Corporation Midnite Mine Alternate Feed Request
- License Renewal Application
- Permit Renewal Application
- Request to Cease Monthly Radon Flux Sampling Tailings Cell 2: Radioactive Material License Number UT 1900479 (07/29/14)
- Sequoyah Fuels Corporation Alternate Feed Request
On February 8, 2012 the U.S. Geological Survey published a report of an assessment of potential migration of radionuclides and trace elements from the White Mesa Uranium Mill to the surrounding areas. DWMRC preliminary review findings were shared with the public in a July 9, 2012 meeting in Blanding.
Information listed in this section is not intended to be all inclusive. To see public records that are not posted, please contact us.
- NESHAP Subpart W
- R307-101. General Requirements
- R307-107. General Requirements: Unavoidable Breakdown
- R307-150. Emission Inventories
- R307-401. Permit: Notice of Intent and Approval Order
- General Provisions
- R313-14 Violations and Escalated Enforcement
- R313-15 Standards for Protection Against Radiation
- R313-17 Administrative Procedures
- R313-18 Notices, Instructions and Reports to Workers by Licensees or Registrants—Inspections
- R313-19 Requirements of General Applicability to Licensing of Radioactive Material
- R313-22 Specific Licenses
- R313-24 Uranium Mills and Source Material Mill Tailings Disposal Facility Requirements
- R313-70 Payments, Categories and Types of Fees
- Cell 4A Re-lining Project
- New Tailings Cell 4B Construction Project
- Tailings Cell 4B Proposed Construction
- Tailings Cell 4B Engineering Design Report
- Tailings Cell 4B Environmental Report
- Tailings Cell 4B Permit Modification and License Amendment
- Tailings Cell 4B Radioactive Materials License Amendment Application
- Tailings Cell 4B Related Cultural Resources Studies/Proposals
- Tailings Cell 4B April 13, 2010 DUSA Application for Approval of Modification of an Existing Source, Utah Division of Air Quality Approval Order No. DAQE-AN0112050008-08
- Background Groundwater Quality Report for Existing Wells
- Background Groundwater Quality Report for New Wells
- Background Groundwater Quality Report for Wells MW-35, MW-36 and MW-37
- Chloroform Ground Water Corrective Action Project
- Fansteel Alternate Feed Proposal
- Groundwater Compliance Limit Modification Requests
- Nitrate Ground Water Corrective Action Project
- University of Utah Groundwater Age and Isotopic Fingerprinting Study
- Quarterly Groundwater Monitoring Reports
- Quarterly Chloroform Monitoring Reports
- Quarterly Nitrate Monitoring Reports
- Semi-Annual Effluent Monitoring Reports
- Annual Tailings Wastewater Sampling Report
- Annual Seeps and Springs Sampling Report
For those wanting to learn more about Radiation, we recommend Radiation Answers, sponsored by the Health Physics Society.
Division of Waste Management & Radiation Control
Phil Goble—Permitting and Licensing Activities
Division of Air Quality
Jay Morris—Compliance Activities