The Division of Environmental Response and Remediation (DERR) is committed to cleaning up properties to protect human health and the environment, ensuring that underground storage tanks are used properly, delivering exceptional customer service, and forming collaborative partnerships with businesses and stakeholders. Program objectives include:
- Assessment and cleanup of contaminated properties to protect human health and the environment and help return lands to beneficial use
- Prevention of petroleum releases through compliance inspections of underground storage tanks (USTs)
- Improvements to operational efficiencies
- Easy access to agency documents
- Community involvement in cleanup decisions
DERR provides oversight for Superfund and Federal Facility cleanups, administers the Voluntary Cleanup and Brownfields programs, and regulates Underground Storage Tanks (USTs) through implementation of the state UST program. These programs serve to protect human health and the environment and help return property to beneficial use. The Division has had great success in preventing petroleum releases from USTs, remediating contaminated lands, and revitalizing areas through these programs.