Petroleum Storage Tank Trust Program
Sources of revenue for the PST Fund are petroleum storage tank fees, UST installation company permit fees, and the environmental assurance fee (currently ½ cent per gallon on the first sale or use of petroleum products in the state).
An UST may not be used to store petroleum products until it is issued a Certificate of Compliance by the Division of Environmental Response and Remediation (DERR). The DERR ensures that regulated USTs meet state and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
To obtain a Certificate of Compliance, owners/operators must register their USTs with DERR, perform a complete UST system tightness test, and pay tank fees. Only USTs with current Certificates of Compliance can be covered by the PST Fund.
Additional information on the PST Fund can be found in the Petroleum Storage Tank Trust Fund Claim Information Packet dated September 8, 2010.
- Conduct a complete system tightness test on each underground storage tank
- Describe any previous pollution incidents at the facility
- Obtain independent financial assurance to cover the deductible amount
- Fill out and submit the Certificate of Compliance Application
- Pay the annual PST Fund fee
- Obtain a Certificate of Compliance
- To rejoin the PST Fund after voluntarily withdrawing or lapsing for non-payment of fees, environmental sampling must be conducted to determine existing levels of contamination, if any
To access funds, the following eligibility requirements must be met:
- The leak or release must have occurred during a period for which the tank was covered by the PST Fund; and,
- a claim must be filed during the period when the tank was covered by the PST Fund; or,
- within one year after the PST Fund covered tank was closed; or,
- within six months after the end of the period during which the tank was covered by the PST Fund.
Petroleum Storage Tank Trust Fund Claims Packet
(02/27/17)—Provides information about PST Fund reimbursement.
Utah Underground Storage Tank Rule R311-207-5(b) Table
(11/14/02)—Maximum Allowable Rate List for Equipment and Supplies.
- PST Remediation Site Eligibility Application
All questions and comments may be directed to Therron Blatter.