Best Management Practices for the Oil and Gas Industry
Top Ten BMPs: #2 Reduce Emissions During Production
- Use enclosed tanks, central or on-site water treatment facilities instead of open pits to reduce fugitive air emissions.
- Minimize venting and/or use closed loop process where possible during "blow downs."
- Install a plunger lift system for removing liquids from wells or "blow downs."
- Convert to low-emitting engines.
- Tighten connections and replace packing to minimize leaks and fugitive emissions.
- Use and maintain proper hatches, seals, and valves to minimize air emissions.
- Use vapor recovery units on oil, condensate, produced water storage tanks, and dehydrators.
- Reduce emissions of unburned hydrocarbons by routing emissions to flare or combustor or routing dehydrator still emissions to first stage compression.
- Lower glycol circulation rate to avoid over-dehydrating.
- Reduce Emissions During Drilling/Completions
- Reduce Emissions During Production
- Conserve Water
- Less Toxic Materials
- Reuse Materials
- High Efficiency Equipment
- Monitoring and Maintenance
- Dust and Tailpipe Emissions
- System Design
- Construction and Reclamation
Contact DEQ (801) 536-4000 for further information on the content of this page.