Best Management Practices for the Oil and Gas Industry
Top Ten BMPs: #8 Dust and Tailpipe Emissions
- Apply water or chemical treatment, such as magnesium chloride, calcium chloride, lignin sulfonate, or asphalt emulsion.
- Restrict vehicle speeds to 10 mph on-site.
- Cover or reclaim excavated or inactive storage piles after activity ceases.
- Wash equipment and reclaim excavation faces.
- Use telemetry and well automation to remotely monitor and control production.
- Use centrally stored water that is piped to the well pads and fracturing facilities through a temporary surface line.
- Use centralized fracturing pads with hard-line frac pipes that can serve many well pads.
- Centralize (or consolidate) gas processing facilities (separation, dehydration, sweetening, etc.).
- Use vans and buses to shuttle employees to the work site.
- Reduce Emissions During Drilling/Completions
- Reduce Emissions During Production
- Conserve Water
- Less Toxic Materials
- Reuse Materials
- High Efficiency Equipment
- Monitoring and Maintenance
- Dust and Tailpipe Emissions
- System Design
- Construction and Reclamation
Contact DEQ (801) 536-4000 for further information on the content of this page.