Used Oil Permits
All companies handling used oil must either obtain a permit or be registered. A permit is needed to operate as an off-specification used-oil fuel burner, processor or re-refiner, transporter, or transfer facility. Registration is required for people or companies acting as used-oil collection centers or fuel marketers. Permit and registration requirements are detailed in Used Oil Management Rules.
Applications for used-oil permits and registration are available online and from the Division. Submit an application with fees included. Additional review fees will be assessed, based upon type of application and time needed to complete it.
A project manager will review your permit applications. Additional information may be requested. Once complete, a draft permit or a denial will be issued.
Draft permits are subject to at least 15 days of public comment. Permit applications must be issued within one year, but that does not include time spent waiting for applicant responses, public participation, or review by other federal or state agencies.
- Fees range from $50.00 to $100.00 for each permit category.
- An annual Used Oil Handler Certificate is also required to operate in the state of Utah. This certificate is good for 1 calendar year, effective January 1st to December 31st.
- The fees range from $50.00 to $100.00 depending on the category.
- The fee to review the Permit Application is $90/hour.
- Multiple permits and certificates may be required depending on facility operations.
Registration takes about three weeks, and facility permits take from 60- to 90-days.
Used Oil Handler Certificates are effective for 1 year. An application and fee must be submitted to the Division at the end of each calendar year for renewal. Permits and registrations do not expire but may need review as new regulations are approved.
Used-Oil Section Manager
DEQ Division of Waste Management and Radiation Control
P.O. Box 144880
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-4880
Telephone: (801) 536-0200 | Fax: (801) 536-0222
Contact Deborah Ng, (801) 536-0218 for further information on the content of this page.