Utah Lake Water Quality Work Plan
The Division of Water Quality (DWQ) initiated the Utah Lake Water Quality Work Plan to chart a path forward for evaluating impairments on Utah Lake, developing tools for making water-quality decisions, and incorporating past, current, and future stakeholder/partner work on the lake.
DWQ released it Draft Water Quality Work Plan 2015-2019 in the winter of 2016. The plan provides:
- Background information on studies to-date on Utah Lake
- Objectives for Phase One and Phase Two of the study
- Phase One scope of work
- Phase Two scope of work
- Schedule of Work Plan activities
- Roles of DWQ stakeholders and partners
For Phase 1 of the study, DWQ assembled a broad group of stakeholders representing a wide range of interests for the Utah Lake Water Quality Plan. Participants include representatives from local municipalities, publicly-owned treatment works (POTWs), and state and local governments. In addition, DWQ created subgroups of stakeholders to help inform decision-making for each of the following plan elements:
- Data and Information Management
- Beneficial Use Assessment
- Nutrient Loading
- Model Development
These subgroups were responsible for defining the lake’s hydrological and ecological processes, identifying data gaps and future research needs, and ascertaining management alternatives that are technically and financially feasible.
The Utah Lake Workgroup is an integral part of the planning process. Please visit the Utah Lake Steering Committee for more information about workgroup members, meetings, and presentations.
July 24, 2017 - Utah Lake Sampling and Analysis Plan
In coordination with a sub-group of stakeholders, DWQ developed and implemented a water quality monitoring program for the 2017 field season to support the study and supplemental research activities on the lake. This plan was developed in coordination with researchers from the Wasatch Front Water Quality Council, Brigham Young University, University of Utah, Utah Valley University, and Utah State University. See the Utah Lake Water Quality Study, 2017 Utah Lake Sampling and Analysis Plan document detailing DWQ's 2017 monitoring plan for more information.
For additional information regarding the sampling plan or to request data relevant to the Utah Lake Water Quality Study please contact Suzan Tahir (801) 536-4341.
May 23, 2017 - Utah Lake Summit
On May 23, 2017, Central Utah Water Conservancy District organized and sponsored a summit to invite various Utah Lake stakeholders to meet in one location and hear a panel of experts discuss a variety of topics essential to better understand the nature of Utah Lake. The Summit was held at the Utah County Convention Center, where 14 different presenters shared history and insight about the challenges, complexities and accomplishments in managing all aspects of Utah Lake. More information about the event including speaker presentations can be found at Utah Lake Summit.
March 30, 2017 - Utah Lake Education Day
Provo City sponsored a Utah Lake Education Day on March 30, 2017 to bring together researchers and stakeholders to discuss ongoing efforts to study and understand Utah Lake. The agenda and presentations from this meeting are posted below:
- Regulated Authority to the State of Utah, Dr. Erica Gaddis, DWQ
- POTW: We Clean the Water, Richard Mickelsen, Provo City
- Three-leg Stool Approach, Jeff Denbleyker, CH2M
- Who Pulled the Plug on Utah Lake, Dr. David Richards, OreoHelix Consulting
- Algae DNA Sequencing, Dr. Zach Aanderud, BYU
- What was Utah Lake Like?, Dr. Steve Nelson, BYU
- Utah Lake Eutrophication: Water quality and cyanobacterial speciation, Dr. Ramesh Goel's Representative, U of U
- Estimating Nutrient Loads and Other Interesting News, Dr. Theron Miller, Wasatch Front Regional Council
- Assessment of Anthropgenic Impacts on the Utah Lake Ecosystem, Dr. Weihong Wang, Utah Valley University
- Phosphrus in Utah Lake Sediments, Dr. Greg Carling, BYU
- Utah Lake: HABs and potential drivers of algal growth, Jake Vander Laan, DWQ
- Utah Lake Carp Removal, Michael Mills, CUWCD
- Utah Lake Water Quality Study, Scott Daly, DWQ
- Utah Lake and Nutrient Loading, Dr. LaVere Merritt, Retired BYU
October 4, 2016 - Utah Lake Model Subgroup Meeting
The Utah Lake Model subgroup met to discuss the final model selection report and a proposed collaboration with the University Utah for model development.
- Agenda (doc)
- Meeting Summary (pdf)
- U of U Project Presentation (pdf)
- Utah Lake Nutrient Model Selection (pdf)
August 24, 2016 - Water Quality Board Meeting
DWQ is requesting approval of hardship grant, up to a maximum of $1 million, for research to support Phase 2 of the Utah Lake Water Quality Study. Hardship funding will help DWQ obtain contractual assistance to complete the second phase of the work plan.
November 10, 2015 - Utah Lake Workgroup Meeting
Presentations included the following:
- Hilary Arens: Utah Lake Water Quality Work Plan 2015-2019 (pdf)
- Erica Gaddis: Clean Water Act (pdf)
- Jereme Gaeta, Utah Lake Monitoring: Overview for the UT-DWQ Water Quality Council (pdf)
- Michael Mills: Utah Lake Water Quality Work Plan JSRIP Activities on Utah Lake (pdf)
- Ramesh Goel: Phosphorus in Utah Lake (pdf)
- LaVere Merritt: Utah Lake – Interesting Old Place (pdf)
- Rushforth Phycology: Phytoplankton Dynamics and the Condition of Utah Lake (pdf)