Clean Fuel Vehicle Tax Credit Program
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are bi-fuel vehicle eligible to receive the Clean Fuels Tax Credit?
- Are hybrids eligible for the Clean Fuel Tax Credit?
- Are there Federal tax credits available?
- Do I have to re-certify my TC40V to claim the carryover?
- How can I find an alternative fueling station?
- How can I submit my TC40V and the required documents?
- Is the title good enough to demonstrate proof of purchase?
- What if my eligible tax credit exceeds my tax liability?
Yes, bi-fuel vehicles and EPA certified bi-fuel conversions are eligible to receive the Clean Fuels Tax Credit.
As of January 1, 2015 hybrids are no longer eligible for the Clean Fuel Tax Credit. However, hybrids that were purchased January 1, 2009 through December 31, 2014 might be eligible for the credit.
Hybrids that meet the air quality and fuel economy standards outlined in Utah Code Annotated 59-10-1009(1)(a) and (f)(2) or Utah Code Annotated 59-7-605(1)(a) and (f)(2) and are purchased after January 1, 2009 may qualify for a tax credit. The tax credit is $750 for vehicles that were purchased January 1, 2009 through December 31, 2010. The tax credit is $605 for eligible motor vehicles that are bought on or after January 1, 2011. See a lists of vehicles that may be eligible to receive the Air Quality and Fuel Economy Standards Tax Credit.
Visit the IRS' Qualified Alternative Fuel Motor Vehicles (QUFMV) and Heavy Hybrid Vehicles Website to view Federal tax credits that may be available.
If the TC40V that has been certified is Rev 7/08 or later (2008 TC-40v Form) or (Current TC-40v Form) you will not need to re-certify. If your signed TC40V is Rev. 12/07 or earlier you will need to submit a copy of the old TC40V along with a completed TC40V (make sure that it is the rev. 7/08) to UDAQ (Email, FAX, mail, or drop off).
The most comprehensive lists of CNG stations are available from the following Websites:
How Can I submit my TC40V and Required documents?
- U.S. Mail: Utah Division of Air Quality, P.O. Box 144820 Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4820
- Deliver to Our Building: 195 North 1950 West, 4th Floor, Salt Lake City, Utah
- FAX: (801) 536-0085
We will then review the TC40V and the associated documentation to determine if the vehicle is eligible for the tax credit. If it is we will sign and stamp the TC40V and send the TC40V back to you. If something is missing we will send out a letter explaining what is missing.
The title by itself is not sufficient to show proof of purchase. If there is no bill of sale you may need some other type of documentation. Please contact Mat Carlile (801) 536-4136.
If the credit claimed exceeds the tax liability for a taxable year, the credit that exceeds the liability may be carried forward for up to five taxable years.