Funding for Nonpoint Source Related Projects:
Utah Nonpoint Source Management Program
Attention: The Division of Water Quality is accepting pre-proposals
for Section 319 and
State NPS funding
The Division of Water Quality is accepting pre-proposals for Section 319 and State NPS funding through May 12th.
Please provide as much specificity in your pre-proposal as possible including your ability to document the success of your project through monitoring before, during, and after project implementation.
The targeted basin for 2019 is the Uinta Basin Watershed although we will be able to use State NPS grants to fund high priority projects in other areas of the state, and encourage everyone that is interested to apply. Funding requests in excess of $150,000 require approval from the Water Quality Board.
Key dates for reference
- February 1st, 2018—DWQ will begin accepting FY-2018 NPS Pre-proposals
- April 13th, 2018—Due Date for 319 and State NPS grant pre-proposals
- May 18th, 2018—Grant recipients will be announced
- July 1st, 2018—Full State NPS Proposals due and State NPS funding available for contracting
- August 1st, 2018—Full 319 proposals due
- Spring of 2019—Section 319 funding is available
Please note that applications received are considered for State NPS funding and Section 319 funding. Once your application has been received, the Division of Water Quality will decide which source of funding will be the most appropriate to fund your project.
Pre-proposals should be developed in close coordination with representatives of DWQ. Find contacts for your watershed here.
For project sponsors with existing 319 projects, a brief status report and current project balance must also be included in your application.
A copy of the ranking criteria as well as final project reporting requirements can be found below. Please forward this URL to anyone who may be interested in applying for these funds.
For questions please contact
- Carl Adams (Watershed Protection Section) at (801) 536-4330 or
- Jim Bowcutt (NPS Program Coordinator) at (801) 536-4336
Section 319 funding is awarded each year to the State of Utah through a grant from the Environmental Protection Agency in accordance with Section 319 of the Clean Water Act. A requirement of 319 funding is that every project must adhere to a 60/40 cost share rate. This means that 60% of the total project cost can be paid using section 319 funding, and the remaining 40% will need to be paid by other non-federal funds, or as "in-kind" match. A summary of projects using 319 funds in the state can be found in the EPA Grant Recording and Tracking System.
- GRTS Database
State Nonpoint Source Funding is provided by the Utah Water Quality Board every year from the interest on loans to communities for the maintenance and construction of sanitary sewage systems. The Water Quality Board recognizes that NPS pollution is a growing problem while point source pollution is progressively being dealt with through improved treatment. These funds are used for on-the-ground implementation, NPS studies, and information and education efforts to promote the protection and improvement of water quality.
Applications are ranked by the Water Quality Task Force made up of a team of resource professionals from federal, state and local agencies. Ranking criteria reflect the priorities of the Nonpoint Source program, including protecting public health, restoring impaired waters, and preventing surface and ground water pollution. Additional information on nonpoint source priorities can be found in UAC R317-100-4. Alpha Project Priority System.
All grants that are awarded by the Utah Division of Water Quality will require that a final report be submitted to the State Nonpoint Source Program Coordinator upon project completion. Guidance for final reporting can be found by following the link below.
Send all applications to:Jim Bowcutt
Utah Division of Water Quality
P.O. Box 144870
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-4870