Report an Incident

Reporting Routine Environmental Incidents

Regulated industry, permitted facilities, waste transporters and others are required by federal and/or state laws or regulations to report chemical spills and other environmental incidents within certain time frames, depending on the type of incident. Some incidents may also require the responsible party to notify the National Response Center at (800) 424-8802Download a summary of DEQ or EPA hazardous material release reporting requirements (137 KB).

The table below shows examples of routine environmental incidents and which Division within the Department should be contacted during office hours. Routine incidents such as air pollution control device breakdowns, exceeding opacity, water discharge permit conditions, or some other similar routine event should be reported directly to the appropriate Division during normal business hours. Call the specific Division with any questions you may have.

Contact Information During Business Hours

Type of IncidentUDEQ DivisionBusiness Hours Phone
Air Pollution Control Device BreakdownsAir Quality(801) 536-4000
Drinking Water EventsDrinking Water(801) 536-4200
Hazardous Waste SpillsDivision of Waste Management and Radiation Control.(801) 536-0200
Petroleum Releases from a UST FacilityEnvironmental Response & Remediation(801) 536-4100
Radiological MaterialsDivision of Waste Management and Radiation Control.(801) 536-0200
Releases that may Affect Waters of the StateWater Quality(801) 536-4300

Reporting Significant Environmental Incidents

Call 911 or Your Local Emergency Number

For emergencies that threaten life or property.

Call (801) 536-4123: 24-hour Phone Number

For significant or major environmental incidents, including radiological materials incidents, that may require a timely response (sooner than the next business day).

Other Resources

Mercury Releases and Spills

EPA Mercury spill public guidance.

National Response Center Spills Database

On-line query system that makes all oil and chemical spill data reported to the NRC available.

Spills Database

For public access.

Spills Database

For authorized users only.

Utah State Emergency Response Commission

The Commission carries out all EPCRA requirements.

Back to top