Report an Incident

Significant environmental incidents

Emergencies that threaten life or property

Call 911 or your local emergency number.

Major incidents

Call our 24-hour incident phone number:

For significant or major environmental incidents, including radiological materials incidents.

Cybersecurity incidents at a public water system

Division of Drinking Water’s 24/7 Emergency Response line

Per R309-105-18, drinking water systems need to contact the Division of Drinking Water within eight hours if an emergency situation exists

More information on our Cybersecurity page

Routine environmental incidents

Regulated industry, permitted facilities, waste transporters and others are required by federal and/or state laws or regulations to report chemical spills and other environmental incidents within certain time frames, depending on the type of incident.

Some incidents may also require the responsible party to notify the National Response Center at (800) 424-8802Download a summary of DEQ or EPA hazardous material release reporting requirements (137 KB).

Routine incidents such as air pollution control device breakdowns, exceeding opacity, water discharge permit conditions, or some other similar routine event should be reported directly to the appropriate division during normal business hours. Call the specific Division with any questions you may have.

By type of incident

Smoking vehicle

Air pollution control device breakdowns

Call (801) 536-4000
Division of Air Quality

Drinking water events

Call (801) 536-4200
Division of Drinking Water

Hazardous waste spills

Call (801) 536-0200
Division of Waste Management and Radiation Control

Petroleum releases from a UST facility

Call (801) 536-4100
Division of Environmental Response & Remediation

Radiological materials

Call (801) 536-0200
Division of Waste Management and Radiation Control

Releases that may affect waters of the state

Call (801) 536-4300
Division of Water Quality

Other resources


For public water and wastewater systems.

Mercury releases and spills

EPA Mercury spill public guidance.

National Response Center Spills Database

Oil and chemical spill data.

DEQ’s Spills Database

For public access. Authorized users login here.

Utah State Emergency Response Commission

The Commission carries out all EPCRA requirements.

Back to top