Many auto body shops are adopting environmental improvement programs to help them cut down on the amount of hazardous waste that they generate in addition to the amount of water and energy that they use. Environmental improvement programs can also help meet customer demands as more and more customers are choosing to do business with shops that have taken steps to reduce their impacts on the environment.
Use the following resources to learn strategies to help you:
- Use High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) spray equipment for appropriate painting tasks.
- Avoid chlorinated solvents.
- Use high-solids paints to reduce volatile organic compounds (VOC).
- Use enclosed or mechanical parts washing and gun washing systems.
- OSHA urges employers to consider alternatives to N95 masks for the autobody and other coating/sanding industry sectors
- EPA Best Practices for Auto Refinishing
This guide provides a list of best practices for sanding, solvent wipe down, paint mixing, spray painting, spray gun cleaning, health, and safety management, and working with isocyanates.
- National Geographic: We Took the Great American Road Trip in–Electronic Car
- Consumer Report: Electric Cars 101: The Answers to All Your EV Questions