Utah Earth Day Challenge
Celebrate this year’s Earth Day by using materials in/around your home to create a poster sharing what you love about Utah or our Earth.
Post your finished sign in your window or on your lawn and share a photo with us on social media by using the hashtag #UtahEarthDay. Select signs will be featured on the Department of Environmental Quality’s social media channels.
From flowers in your garden to recycled items in your home, this week-long family fun challenge is designed to bring out your creativity.
Let’s celebrate Earth Day with our community while staying safe at home!
Clean air to breathe, clean water to drink, neighborhoods free from toxic materials. Since 1970, Earth Day has been a time to recognize how important our environment is to all of us and to take action to make our world a better place to live.
The Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) believes in making every day Earth Day.
Here are some of the Earth Day activities around the state that you and your family can attend to Celebrate Earth Day!
- Amazing Earthfest: Postponed due to Covid 19: Dates To Be Determined
- American West Heritage Center, Farm Animals Days: April 13, 20, 2020
- Earth Day 2020 | Earth Day – Earth Day Network: Find a Digital Earth Day Event
- Earth Week, U of U: Due to the shift of the University of Utah courses to all-online instruction, this year’s Earth Week activities have been canceled. Please follow the Sustainability Office Instagram (sustainableUofU) as they highlight the history of Earth Day and celebrate its 50th anniversary throughout the month of April!
- Moab Solutions: Earth Day Challenge: April 18 and April 22, 2020
- South Jordan, Earth Day 10k: SOJO Earth Day Virtual 10K April 20-25, 2020
- Tracy Aviary: Get ready for the City Nature Challenge, April 24-27
- Utah’s Hogle Zoo, Party for the Planet: April 25, 2020
- Wild Wednesdays: Earth Day Extravaganza! in Ogden: April 22, 2020
- Zion Canyon 16th Annual Earth Day Celebration: Postponed until further notice.
12 Days of DEQ Earth Day
- Day 1 Calculate Your Carbon Footprint
- Day 2 Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Day 3 Conduct a Household Hazardous Waste Inventory
- Day 4 Stop Junk Mail
- Day 5 Get Your Greens
- Day 6 Reduce Your Energy Use
- Day 7 Schedule Maintenance on Your Car or Tune Up Your Bike
- Day 8 Buy Green Cleaning Products or Make Your Own
- Day 9 Conserve Water
- Day 10 Attend an Earth Day Event
- Day 11 Sign Up for Blue Skies
- Day 12 Commit to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
Make Every Day Earth Day
If there isn’t an organized event in your community today, you can create your own Earth Day event:
- Pick up trash along your street or in a city park
- Volunteer to participate in a local cleanup project
- Remove brush and weeds from an elderly neighbor’s yard
- Plant a tree or sign up with TreeUtah for a community tree-planting project
- Clean up garbage or debris from a local waterway
- Hold a yard sale or a clothing swap to encourage reuse of household items