2008 Underground Storage Tanks Changes:
Environmental Response and Remediation Laws and Rules

Changes to R311, the Utah Underground Storage Tank (UST) Rules

As of August 18, 2008 several significant changes have been made to the UST rules that will affect contractors who install UST systems and who upgrade or replace any part of the UST system.

Summary of the Rule Changes

  • R311-203-2, Notification. UST owner/operators are required to notify the DERR (UST) before switching to some alternative fuels in their tanks. “Alternative Fuels” is defined as petroleum based fuel containing more than 20% Biodiesel or more than 10% Ethanol. There may be compatibility issues when these fuels are used in steel tanks, older fiberglass-reinforced plastic tanks, or in tank systems with certain types of fittings, seals, etc. Adding this requirement will help ensure that these problems are minimized.
  • R311-203-6, Requirements for Secondary Containment. This section implements the “Additional Measures to Protect Groundwater” provision of the Energy Policy Act of 2005. Beginning October 1, 2008, secondary containment will be required for most new UST installations and upgrades. This includes secondary containment on tanks, piping, and product dispensers. The rule specifies some exceptions to this requirement. Interstitial monitoring will be required for all new secondary containment installed under this rule change.
  • R311-206-3, Requirements for Issuance of Certificates of Compliance. Owner/operator must submit an as-built drawing for new UST installations, prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Compliance for new installations. A Certificate of Compliance will not be issued without an as-built drawing.

In addition to the above rule changes, DERR (UST) will be asking for documentation of integrity testing on all newly installed secondary containment and spill containment (spill buckets) prior to going into operation. These tests should be conducted according to the equipment manufacturer requirements.

Comments or Questions

If you have any questions concerning this matter or need any assistance, please contact David Wilson (djwilson@utah.gov) (801) 536-4138.

Last Updated:


Back to top