Applicants for first time Certification for Groundwater/Soil Sampler, UST Remover, and UST Installer must attend a Division of Environmental Response and Remediation (DERR) approved course. Those whose certification has been expired for more than two years must take a DERR approved course.
Initial and recertification exams for UST Tester can be taken on one of the scheduled dates.
UST rules require individuals applying for certification renewal to complete a course “equivalent” to previously DERR approved training courses. Course requirements and the responsibility to provide appropriate training have not been deleted, but rather, passed to the applicant.
- The applicant for renewal must take the recertification exam administered by DERR on one of the scheduled dates.
- Individuals may obtain a study guide in preparation for taking the examination.
- Please pass study guides to other people in your company planning to recertify in the UST program.
All applicants for certificate renewal may take an UST exam within six months prior to the expiration date of the certificate.
You must score 80% to pass.
- If you fail the examination, you must wait a month before you can retake the test.
- If you fail a second time you may be required to attend an approved training course, then take the exam in conjunction with the course.
Courses are taught by independent organizations two or three times per year.
DERR is not responsible for certificate lapses. You may not perform UST activities for a period of time after failing an exam.
After completing the exam, if you have questions or comments concerning the contents of the exam, submit your questions in writing.
No pre-registration is required.
- An application must be completed and submitted with the required fee of $225.00 to the DERR to become certified once you have passed the exam.
- DERR will not accept an application without the required fee.
Exams are administered at: