Completion of the Kennecott South Zone Five Year Review for Operable Units 3, 6, 7, 17 and 18
The Utah Department of Environmental Quality, Division of Environmental Response and Remediation (UDEQ/DERR), in cooperation with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region VIII (EPA), has conducted a Five Year Review of the Kennecott South Zone Superfund Site—Operable Units 3, 6, 7, 17, and 18.
- Operable Unit No. 3 includes soils, waste rock, and tailings in the areas of Butterfield Creek, Butterfield Canyon, and Butterfield Mine.
- Operable Unit No. 6 includes soils, waste rock, and tailings in the areas of the Lark Waste Rock and Tailings sites.
- Operable Unit No. 7 includes soils and sludges in the area of the South Jordan Evaporation Ponds.
- Operable Unit No. 17 includes soils in the area of the Bastian Sink site.
- Operable Unit No. 18 includes mine drainage and waste rock associated with the western side of the Oquirrh Mountains in Tooele County.
The purpose of a five-year review is to determine whether or not the cleanup and other actions taken at the site are protective of human health and the environment. Overall, the review found the remedies are adequately protective of human health and the environment, and exposure pathways that could result in unacceptable risk are being controlled (based upon current land use). The review does identify recommendations regarding future development for areas within the operable units covered by this review.
During this Review, UDEQ/DERR examined current information and conducted a site inspection and community interviews to evaluate all remedy components. The report summarizing the results is provided in the list of documents below.
If you would like more information about the review, please contact:
Doug Bacon, UDEQ Project Manager: (801) 536-4282
Dave Allison, UDEQ Community Involvement: (801) 536-4479
- Letter of Draft Final Report
To Rebecca Thomas, Remedial Project Manager, Kennecott South and North Zones
- Final Report: First Five Year Review Report, Kennecott South Zone
- Appendix A: Five Year Review: Community Interviews
Summary, Individual Interview Logs, and Announcement Advertisement
- Appendix B: Communiques with the Division of Water Quality
UPDES, Stormwater, and Groundwater Protection Programs Pertaining to Permit Compliance
- Appendix C: Communique from Kennecott Utah Copper Corporation
With Attached Final Compliance Monitoring Reports fro Butterfield Creek
- Appendix D: DERR Yosemite Release Inspection Report
- Appendix E: September 2002 ROD Federal and State ARARs for North End Remediation
- Appendix F: Butterfield Creek, Canyon, and Confluence Areas
- Appendix G: Lark Waste Rock and Tailings Areas
- Lark Tailing Prior to Capping Characterization
- Lark Tailings Southeast Area and Copper Creek
- Lark Tailings Trench Characterization
- Lark Waste Rock Post Removal
- Mascotte Pond
- Appendix H: References
- Appendix I: Site Inspection Photos and Observations
- Appendix J: Shortened Review of OU7 and OU17