DEQ Main Menu
Utah Division of Environmental Response
Underground Storage Tank Branch
The Utah State Underground Storage Tank program is a regulatory branch of the Department of Environmental Quality. Its primary goal is to protect human health and the environment from leaking underground storage tanks (USTs). The UST staff oversees UST notification, installation, inspection, removal, and compliance with State and Federal UST regulations concerning release prevention and remediation. Get more details.
- Class A and B Operators Registration Program
- Containment Sump Testing Form
- Operator Inspection Form (2017): PDF | DOC
- Spill Bucket Testing Form
- Utah Tank News - Winter 2016
The new State UST rules went into effect on January 1, 2017. These rules require annual testing or inspection of automatic tank gauges (ATGs). In addition, overfill prevention devices, spill buckets, and containment sumps used for piping interstitial leak detection must be tested or inspected every three years. The initial testing or inspection of these components must be completed by October 13, 2018 for the UST to remain in compliance. Do not wait to have this work done because, in the State of Utah:
- There are approximately 4,000 tanks,
- Each tank may need 3-4 components inspected or tested (over 12,000 components) in the next 18 months.
- Previous Tank Tips
- Certification Study Guides and Reference Material
- Certified UST Contractors
- Contractor Certification Program
- Contacts for UST Questions
- Newsletter: Utah Tank News
- One Time Drop of Fuel for Tank and Line Testing
- Tank Fees Summary
- Useful UST Forms
- UST/LUST Lists
- UST Issues Email Alerts Sign Up
- UST Owner/Operator Training and Registration Program
- More ...
- Accessing the Petroleum Storage Tank (PST) Fund
- Remediation and Abatement
- Reporting a Release From Underground Storage Tanks (Spills)
- Online Form for Reporting Spills
- More ...
No Certificate of Compliance
Facilities that do not have an active Certificate of Compliance and are ineligible to receive deliveries of fuel. Updated daily.
PST Fund Financial Viability Study
A financial viability study of the Petroleum Storage Tank Trust Fund.
- Petroleum Storage Tank Loan Program
Funds are available for loans to eligible owners and operators for upgrading, replacing, or closing USTs.
Red Tag Program
Starting in 2013 large red "delivery prohibition" tags will be placed on tanks that are not eligible to receive fuel deliveries
Summary Information on USTs
Utah's summary information; required by the Energy Policy Act of 2005 Grant Guidelines. Updated November 16, 2016.
UST Certification Program Online Applications and Payments
Submit applications and payments online for Sampler, Consultant, Installer, Remover, and Tester Certification and A/B Operator Registration.
UST Compliance Report
Utah's government owned; required by the Energy Policy Act of 2005 Grant Guidelines.
UST Issues Email Alerts Sign Up
Be personally notified when important issues arise concerning Underground Storage Tank owners, operators, and contractors.
UST Priority Assessment Tool
Currently sites with the highest priority assessment are inspected more frequently. See how upgrades to your facility will effect its assessment.
Utah Tank News