Solid Waste Permitting

Businesses may only dispose of or incinerate solid waste at permitted facilities in compliance with Utah’s Solid Waste Rules. Non-hazardous solid waste generally consists of municipal garbage, industrial waste, or construction/demolition debris.

New and expanding disposal sites, including on-site industrial facilities, must obtain permits, and all facilities are subject to inspection.

Nearly all landfills are subject to location restrictions, design and operating criteria, ground water monitoring and corrective action requirements, closure and post-closure care requirements and financial assurance criteria. New commercial facilities also need gubernatorial and legislative approval.

Waste tire transporters and recyclers are required to register with the Division, under the Waste Tire Recycling Act.

Process Overview

Applications are available online and from the Division. Submit an application with fees included. Additional review fees will be assessed, based upon type of application and time needed to complete it.

A project manager will review your permit application. Additional information may be requested. Once the application is determined to be complete, a draft permit will be prepared. Draft permits are subject to at least 30 days of public comment and a public hearing.The final permit may then be issued and may incorporate pertinent comments.


  • Fees range from $0 to $5,000, depending upon the facility type. Fees may be charged for permit modifications.
  • The waste tire transporter or recycler registration fee is $100.

Time Required

  • Permits for a simple landfill may be issued within three to six months, but others take longer depending upon project size and complexity.
  • Solid Waste permits are valid for five years from the date issued and can be renewed.
  • All permits may be modified or revoked when warranted.


Brian Speer (
DEQ Division of Waste Management and Radiation Control
288 North 1460 West
P.O. Box 144880
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-4880
Telephone: (385) 499-0010.
Fax: (801) 536-0222

Back to top