The Grassy Mountain Facility is a commercial, waste, treatment, storage and disposal facility located near Knolls, Tooele County. It is located approximately 80 miles west of Salt Lake City, Utah, in the desert portion of the Bonneville basin near the Grassy Mountains. The site is one square mile in area and is remotely located, 25 miles from incorporated towns or permanent human habitation. It is owned and operated by Clean Harbors.
Because of its desert setting, the site is ideal for land disposal. Annual precipitation averages 6 inches, while the yearly potential evaporation rate averages about 48 inches. Relative humidity rarely exceeds 10 percent. There are no streams or rivers within a 40 mile radius of the facility; the nearest surface water is the Great Salt Lake, 30 miles to the northeast.
A shallow, non-potable aquifer is located in the lake deposits below the site. The depth to the groundwater averages about 17 feet, and the aquifer’s flow is generally west-northwest. Because of high concentrations of dissolved solids (55,000-110,000 mg/L), the groundwater is not suitable for agricultural or domestic uses. Fresh water is trucked to the facility from Grantsville, Utah, nearly 60 miles away.
The Grassy Mountain Facility is capable of managing hazardous wastes, PCB contaminated wastes and oils, industrial wastes and other non-hazardous wastes. The facility can accept liquid, solid or semisolid waste forms for treatment, storage, and/or disposal.
The Grassy Mountain Facility consists of six hazardous waste landfill cells, four PCB landfill cells, one hazardous waste/PCB landfill cell and three industrial waste landfill cells. Three hazardous waste cells and two PCB cells have been closed along with two industrial waste cells. Two hazardous waste cells have reached their permitted capacity and are currently undergoing closure. One TSCA cell and one industrial waste cell have never been used and currently are not permitted.
A release of two low-level organic compounds from Industrial cell 1 was investigated during 1999-2003; a risk assessment concluded that risks to human health and the environment are insignificant (below 1E-6).
The facility was reissued a hazardous waste Part B Permit by the Director of the Division of Waste Management and Radiation Control on September 28, 2012. Note that the online copy is not the official copy. Questions regarding the permit should be directed to the contacts identified below.
The Compliance History (108 KB) for Clean Harbors Grassy Mountain lists the violations identified during inspections and the resolution reached.
Clean Harbors Grassy Mountain, LLC phone number is (435) 884-8900.
- Title Page (80 KB)
- Module I—Standard Conditions (102 KB)
- Module II—General Facility Conditions (99 KB)
- Module III—Storage and Treatment in Containers (66 KB)
- Module IV—Storage and Treatment in Tanks (43 KB)
- Module V—Surface Impoundment (35 KB)
- Module VI—Hazardous Waste Landfills (104 KB)
- Module VII—Groundwater Monitoring Protection (149 KB)
- Module VIII—Corrective Action Plan Development Procedures (67 KB)
- Module IX—Post-Closure Plan (46 KB)
- Module X—Waste Management Plan for PCBs (101 KB)
- Attachment II—WAP RCRA-TSCA Waste Analysis Plan (2 MB)
- Attachment II-1—Facility Plan View (115 KB)
- Attachment II-2—Security Plan (10 KB)
- Attachment II-3—Site Inspection Plan (972 KB)
- Attachment II-4—Personnel Training Plan (65 KB)
- Attachment II-5—Preparedness and Prevention (19 KB)
- Attachment II-6—Contingency Plan (3 MB)
- Attachment II-7—Closure Plan (1 MB)
- Attachment II-8—Supplemental Waste Analysis Plan for F020-F023 & F026-F028 (323 KB)
- Attachment III-1—Container Management Drawings (1 MB)
- Attachment III-2—Policy and Procedures for Managing High VOC Waste Steams (79 KB)
- Attachment IV—Tank System & Drawings (39 MB)
- Attachment IV—Reagent Lists (28 KB)
- Attachment V-1—Surface Impoundment B Drawings (6 MB)
- Attachment VI-1—Landfill Drawings (5 MB)
- Attachment VI-2—Final Closure Plan for Cell 4 and 5 (692 KB)
- Attachment VI-2—Appendix A (1 MB)
- Attachment VI-2—Appendix B (19 MB)
- Attachment VI-2—Appendix C (3 MB)
- Attachment VI-3—Design Engineering Report for Cells B/6 and 7 (688 KB)
- Attachment VI-3—Coordinated Approval (6 MB)
- Attachment VI-4—Storm water Management (5 MB)
- Attachment VI-5—Cells 8-13 Drawings (13 MB)
- Attachment VII-1—Potentiometric/Velocity Map 9 KB)
- Attachment VII-2—Groundwater Sampling and Field Analysis SOP (153 KB)
- Attachment VII-3—Groundwater Parameters (311 KB)
- Attachment VII-4—Detection/Compliance Monitoring Protocol (59 KB)
- Attachment VII-5a—Groundwater Draft Technical Guidance Document 1986 (16 MB)
- Attachment VII-5b—Groundwater Draft Technical Guidance Document 1992 (3 MB)
- Attachment VII-6—Existing Groundwater Well Specifications (211 KB)
- Attachment VII-7—Statistical Methods for Groundwater Monitoring (14 KB)
- Attachment VII-7—Gibbon Report (2 MB)
- Attachment VII-8—Annual Measurements of Groundwater Levels (65 KB)
- Attachment IX—Post-Closure Inspections (163 KB)
- Attachment X-1—TSCA PCB Coordinated Approval (12 MB)
- Attachment X-2—Coordinated Approval Modification (343 KB)
- Attachment X-3—PCB Training Manual (126 KB)
- Attachment X-4—SPCC Plan (14 MB)
- Attachment X-5—PCB Tank Management (44 KB)
- Attachment X-6—TSCA Application Chapter 4 (5 MB)
- Attachment X-7—TSCA Inspection Forms (75 KB)
Comments or Questions
If you have any question concerning the permitting or compliance of Clean Harbors Grassy Mountain Facility, please contact Kari Lundeen (801) 536-0253.