EnergySolutions is a Utah-based company that operates a commercial treatment, storage and disposal facility five miles south of the Clive exit on Interstate 80 in Tooele County and approximately 80 miles west of Salt Lake City. The facility itself is about one square mile in size and is located in a remote desert area, approximately 20 miles from the nearest residence. The depth to groundwater averages about 30 feet.
EnergySolutions is licensed to handle several classifications of radioactive material and waste:
- Class A Low-level Radioactive Material (LARW)
- Naturally Occurring and Accelerator Produced Material (NORM)
- Radioactive Waste That is Also Determined to be Hazardous (Mixed Waste)
- Uranium and Thorium By-product Material
The EnergySolutions facility has two radioactive material licenses issued by the Utah Division of Waste Management and Radiation Control (DWMRC):
- Radioactive Material License UT 2300249 (80 MB) is a license to transfer, receive, possess and use any Radioactive Material including Special Nuclear Material specified in the license.
- Radioactive Material License UT 2300478 (170 KB) is a license to transfer, receive, possess and use 11e.(2) Byproduct Material.
The EnergySolutions facility has two permits, one issued by the DWMRC and one issued by the Division of Water Quality and overseen by the DWMRC.
- A permit was issued under EPA Identification Number UTD982598898 to operate a hazardous waste treatment, storage and disposal facility for the purpose disposing of mixed waste.
- Permit Number UGW450005 (4.1 MB) is a Ground Water Quality Discharge Permit that sets ground water protection levels and standards for maintaining the quality of the ground water.
To learn more about Radiation, we recommend Radiation Answers, sponsored by the Health Physics Society.
Division of Waste Management and Radiation Control, Low Level Radioactive Waste Section