The Utah State Legislation passed HB70 during the 2010 general legislative session. This bill addresses the retrofitting of vehicles to operate on compressed natural gas. Specifically the bill requires:
- the vehicle retrofitted shall be inspected by a CSA America CNG fuel system inspector to meet NFPA 52 code;
- the vehicle retrofitted shall pass the emission standards of the county it registered or the most lenient emissions standards if the vehicle is in a county with no emissions standards;
- the person who performs a retrofit shall certify to the owner of the vehicle that the retrofit does not tamper with, circumvent, or otherwise affect the vehicle’s on-board diagnostic system; and,
- the owner shall have the retrofit inspected by a CSA America CNG fuel system inspector the sooner of the following:
- every three years after the retrofit; or,
- every 36,000 miles after the retrofit; and,
- after any collision occurring at a speed of greater than five miles per hour.
The bill also provided that a retrofit compressed natural gas vehicle is in compliance with certain requirements, which satisfies fleet requirements as a clean fuel vehicle. The bill also prohibits a retrofit compressed natural gas vehicle from receiving a clean fuel vehicle tax credit.