The provisions of the IESWTR and DBPR went into effect on January 1, 2002.
These are federal rules which apply to public water systems that use surface water, or ground water under the direct influence of surface water(GWUDI), and serve at least 10,000 people. The rules are designed to improve the quality of the water delivered by surface water treatment plants. For instance, the allowable turbidity from surface water treatment plant has been reduced from .5 to .3 NTU.
Currently, the primary enforcement responsibility for these rules rests with EPARegion 8. The Utah Division of Drinking Water intends to assume this role at some future date. Until that time, for assistance please contact Bob Clement (firstname.lastname@example.org) with EPA Region 8 at (800) 227-8917.
For further information on the rules, see:
Systems subject to the new rules must continue submitting the usual monthly operational reports to the Utah Division of Drinking Water.
Additionally, monthly operational reports must be sent to Bob Clement (email@example.com) at EPA Region 8. The above-mentioned Utah form (which describes combined filter effluent) must be sent, along with the appropriate additional forms:
- Monitoring Forms for Alternative Compliance Criteria #1
- Monitoring Forms for Compliance with TTHMs and HAA5s
- Monthly Report for Systems Serving >10,000 using Conventional or Direct Filtration
- Monitoring Plan for Bromate and Bromide for Systems Using Ozone
- Monitoring Plan for Chlorine/Chloramines
- Monitoring Plan for Chlorite and Chlorine Dioxide for Systems for Using Chlorine Dioxide
- Monitoring Plan for Source and Finished Water Alkalinity
- Monitoring Plan for Source and Finished Water Magnesium
- Monitoring Plan for Source Water Specific Ultraviolet Absorption (SUVA).Monitoring Plan for Finished Water Specific Ultraviolet Absorption (SUVA)
- Monitoring Plan for Source Water Total Organic Carbon (TOC) for Reduced Monitoring for TTHMs/HAA5s
- Monitoring Plan for Source Water Total Organic Carbon (TOC), Source Water Alkalinity and Finished Water TOC
- Monitoring Plan for TTHMs / HAA5s
- Worksheet on How to Calculate the Number of Samples for TTHMs / HAA5s