System Sizing Requirements
Minimum sizing requirements for water sources, storage tanks, and water lines are specified in R309-510. Utah Code 19-4-14 supersedes some of the statewide requirements by directing the Division of Drinking Water to establish system-specific source and storage sizing requirements for public water systems. Until DDW sets system-specific sizing requirements for a water system, the statewide standards of R309-510 apply. The system-specific sizing requirements will be based on water use data that water systems are required to collect and report to the Division of Water Rights.
Information about water use data collection and reporting and system-specific sizing requirements can be found below:
- General Guidance for Water Use Data Reporting (514.2 KB)
- Detailed Guidance for Water Use Data Reporting and Setting System-Specific Minimum Sizing Requirements (2.2 MB)
- Notice to Community Water Systems Serving Greater than 3,300 Persons – Water Use Data Reporting Due March 1, 2019
- Presentation Slides – Implementing New Drinking Water Sizing Requirements (5.81 MB)
- Presentation Handouts – Implementing New Drinking Water Sizing Requirements (1.16 MB)
- Summary of New Requirements by Water System Size and Type
- Division of Water Rights – Water Use Program (for reporting water use data)
The following report provides information about the collection of water use data needed to establish source sizing requirements and identifies metering equipment that may be capable of generating the required data:
If you have questions about the new water use data reporting and minimum sizing requirements,
For questions about financial assistance that may be available for compliance with the new water use data collection and reporting requirements, please contact:
Public Water System Capacity Calculations
The following spreadsheets can be used to estimate the minimum capacity requirements for public drinking water systems. The protected spreadsheet is in a format that protects the formulas and links, while the unprotected file is available for individual modifications. These spreadsheets allow the user to enter the number of connections, irrigation and fire flow demands, existing source or storage volume capacities, etc.
- Capacity Calculations Spreadsheet:
Estimate the minimum capacity requirements for public drinking water systems
Protected (438 KB) (04/17/17) Unprotected (483 KB) (04/17/17)
- Tables of Source and Storage Sizing Requirements (R309-510-7 and 8) (25 KB)
Source sizing tables.
- Irrigation Zone Map
This map shows the six zones in Utah with various irrigation demands.
Public Drinking Water System Capacity Calculations—Examples
The following examples are capacity calculations for various water system types, including Community, Transient Non-Community (TNC), and Non-Transient Non-Community (NTNC) water systems.