- Permit Coverage
- Create Online Account (NOI) for New Permits/Access to Existing Permits
- Notice of Termination (NOT)
- No Discharge Form
- No Exposure Certification Form
- Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP)
- Best Management Practices (BMP)
- Monitoring Requirements
- Related Resources
- Program Contacts
Industrial facilities such as manufacturing facilities, mining operations, landfills, steam electric plants, automotive recyclers, waste and metal recycling, larger wastewater treatment plants, and transportation facilities are typically required to obtain coverage under the Multi-Sector General Permit (MSGP) for Storm Water Discharges Associated with Industrial Activities. Coverage is usually based on the facility’s Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code or activities on site. A list of SIC codes that require coverage is provided in the Appendix I table below. Those who require coverage but do not have any materials or activities exposed to storm water may qualify for an exemption by filing a No Exposure Certification.
- Multi-Sector General Permit (MSGP) for Storm Water Discharges Associated with Industrial Activities (5 MB)
The main body of the general permit contains the basic requirements that apply to anyone with MSGP coverage. See Appendix I for requirements specific to industry type.
- Fact Sheet and Statement of Basis for Multi-Sector General Permit (MSGP) and Group 1 (186 KB)
- Fact Sheet and Statement of Basis for Group 2 (28 KB)
- Fact Sheet and Statement of Basis for Group 3 (158 KB)
- Fact Sheet and Statement of Basis for Group 5 (28 KB)
- Multi-Sector General Permit (MSGP) for Storm Water Discharge Associated with Industrial Activities – Group 4 (139 KB)
- Fact Sheet and Statement of Basis for Group 4 (159 KB)
- Sector A – Group 4 (272 KB)
- Sector B – Group 4 (237 KB)
- Sector C – Group 4 (280 KB)
- Sector D – Group 4 (244 KB)
- Sector F – Group 4 (259 KB)
- Sector H – Group 4 (244 KB)
- Sector M – Group 4 (249 KB)
- Sector T – Group 4 (214 KB)
- Sector W – Group 4 (212 KB)
- MSGP Appendix I Table – Requirements for Specific Sectors and SIC Codes
This table shows which SIC and activity codes require coverage. It also contains links to the Appendix I requirements for each Sector or industry type.
- MSGP Frequently Asked Questions (188 KB)
Permit Coverage and Help Files
- Online Permit System – NeT MSGP
Use the online system to acquire permit coverage (NOI), exclusions (NEC or NDC), or terminations (NOT) and renew or make changes to existing permits. Below are help files for the most common tasks.
- How to create an account in CDX for NeT MSGP (170 KB)
- How to add NeT MSGP if you already have a CDX account (163 KB)
- How to apply for a new permit (NOI) or exclusion (NEC or NDC) (281 KB)
- How to link an existing permit or exclusion to your account (217 KB)
- How to file a termination (NOT) or change NOI (343 KB)
- How to make a payment/renew (414 KB)
- How to submit discharge monitoring reports (338 KB)
Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) and Forms
- General SWPPP Template (135 KB)
Use the SWPPP template to comply with UPDES general permit requirements.
NOTE: this is just a basic template. refer to the general permit (MSGP (506 KB) and your specific requirements under appendix I for your industrial sector. This SWPPP is not complete until you include requirements for your industrial sector.
- General SWPPP Worksheet (19 KB)
Use the SWPPP Worksheet to compile a list of potential pollutant sources, pollutants, BMPs, and site inspections.
- Notice of Intent (NOI) for MSGP coverage
PDF (132 KB) | DOC (123 KB)
- No Exposure Certification (NEC) Form (690 KB)
For facilities with no industrial materials or activities exposed to storm water.
- No Discharge (NDC) Form.
For facilities that capture and do not discharge storm water to ground or surface waters.
PDF (110 KB)| DOC (23 KB)
- Notice of Termination (NOT) Form.
For facilities that no longer require coverage.
PDF (228 KB) | DOC (61 KB)
Best Management Practices (BMPs)
- Environmental Best Management Practices at Industrial and Municipal Sites (515 KB)
Utah DEQ’s Top Ten Best Management Practices for Industrial and Municipal Sites poster.
- EPA’s BMPs Fact Sheet Series
EPA’s fact sheet series includes a summary of typical pollutants associated with each sector in addition to practices to use to minimize the discharge of those pollutants.
- Center for Watershed Protection
For best practices in storm water management, visit the Center for Watershed Protection Website.
- International Stormwater BMP Database
For additional BMPs, go to the International Stormwater BMP Database Website.
Monitoring and Reporting Requirements
- Storm Water Discharge Monitoring Report Form:
- Monitoring and Reporting Requirements
Specific monitoring and reporting requirements for industry sectors. Click on “Industry Type” and scroll down the document to the Monitoring and Reporting Requirements section.
- Collecting Grab Samples
The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency’s video describing how to collect storm water samples from grab samples from concentrated flow.
- Collecting Samples from Sheet Flow
The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency’s video describing how to collect storm water samples from sheet flow from concentrated flow.
- List of Certified Environmental Laboratories (241 KB)
- Guidance for Monitoring and Reporting Requirements (264 KB)
Provides basic guidance on how to monitor storm water and report results for compliance with the MSGP.
- EPA’s Industrial Stormwater Webpage
EPA’s Stormwater Web page that provides technical and regulatory information about the NPDES stormwater program.